The inside details of the Tick, Tick… Boom! opening

Kaylah Curley, Managing Editor

brunch scene
The show is filled with dynamic rock-pop musical numbers. (Eva Williams)

Tick, tick, tick… The autobiographical musical by playwright Jonathan Larson, Tick, Tick… BOOM! follows the aspiring composer Jonathan, played by Sam Mostow, and his struggles of navigating the fear and responsibility of growing up. He is about to turn 30 with lots of items unchecked on his bucket list, waiting tables and wondering if he will ever “make it” to Broadway. It’s a story about friendships, like Jonathan, and his best friend Micheal (Matthew Bloss-Baum) and relationships like Jonathan and his girlfriend, Susan (Emma Hart). As well as dedication and determination as Jonathan works to produce his play Superbia.

Despite the unpredictability of the Covid pandemic the show will go on! Most of the casts will wear masks but the three leads, Sam Mostow, Emma Hart, and Matthew Bloss-Baum, will not. 

As the show travels around New York City, it portrays the struggles and dilemmas of balancing friendships and relationships as well as careers and dreams. The stage is set in a way to allow  the audience to travel around the different settings of the play. While not shown in the dress rehearsal, projected backgrounds are expected to be displayed in the background of the show. 

The live instruments surround the auditorium that give life to the vocals to all performers on the stage. The rock/pop dynamic musical pieces give the show a sense of uniqueness compared to many other Broadway musicals. 

ensemble at end of show
The story is set in the 90s, during the George Bush presidency. (Eva Williams)

The ensemble also shapes the experience of each scene, each member playing multiple roles that help set the setting and understanding of what’s happening in the show, using frequent costume changes.

The group has been working together and rehearsing this performance for many weeks, facing many challenges and schedule changes due to the pandemic. Matthew Bloss-Baum is filled with gratitude for the experience. “The show is so much fun and filled with energy, we have all been working very hard to put the show on its feet.  It is so great to be able to share Jonathan Larson’s beautiful story and bring it into our little community!” 

The 80 minute show will be held in the Meridian auditorium at 7:30pm Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, January 20 through 22. Be sure to come out and watch and support the musical. It is $5 per student and $10 for anyone else. Be ready for another school production as it makes its big opening BOOM!