Where seniors want to go to college

Chris Whitted via Flickr

Burruss Hall stands tall on its classic limestone rock build.

Maia Tartaglino and Pariss Quaintance

Many Meridian students have spent this year building their college applications and deciding which school is the best fit for them based on location, financials, academic rigor, athletics, and the campus. After taking a survey of many students to see where students are applying this year, we came up with 10 common schools they are considering.

Virginia Polytechnic Institute “Virginia Tech” 

Virginia Polytechnic Institute, located in Blacksburg, Va., is one of the most popular schools that Meridian High School students have applied to in 2021. Virginia Tech was founded in 1872 by John M. McBryde, who later developed the motto Ut Prosim. This school’s priority for its students is its efforts to serve others. Senior Juliana Chavez explains how, 

“Virginia Tech offers so many opportunities for service, which I think is important for young adults to give back to their community and peers,” senior Juliana Chavez said. 

Virginia Tech has more than 150 majors available for students, which are beneficial for individuals who may be seeking a more specific major. Blacksburg is known as a good college town because of the many small neighborhoods, casual dining, and independent boutiques. Many have said how it feels like a home away from home. Virginia Tech’s football games are known to be extremely fun and chaotic. For each football game, VT plays Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” intro in the beginning of the game. With all the students jumping and cheering, they registered on the Richter Scale, which is used to measure the intensity of earthquakes. 

Total in-state tuition: $24,051

Total out-of-state tuition: $43,733

Boston College 

Boston College was founded in the South End region of Boston in 1863 by the Society of Jesus to educate Irish Catholic immigrants. With the mission statement of “Ever to Excel,” Boston College remains to support students’ faith and service with professional programs pushing excellence. Boston College has 14,940 students enrolled with a 26 percent acceptance rate. With a rigorous curriculum for undergraduates, it invites students to a more personalized academic experience. 

Total tuition: $30,265

University of Virginia “UVA”

Main lawn at UVA’s campus in Charlottesville, Va.
Main lawn at UVA’s campus in Charlottesville, Va. (UVA Arts & Sciences)

The University of Virginia is located in Charlottesville, Virginia, surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains. The official mascot has been the Cavaliers, but they have unofficially claimed a second mascot for their university, the Wahoos. This university was founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819 and has upheld its historic feel over the years. Additionally, many of the students spend time on the Lawn, a central area of the campus (referred to as the grounds). This area can be used for students to relax in hammocks, sit with friends, or simply enjoy the weather. Pavilions, which border the Lawn, are historic buildings that are an honor for any faculty member, staff, or student. UVA also offers over 800 clubs for students to partake in and get involved with their peers and community. 

“I like the campus, my parents are alumni so my parents instilled in me the difference,” senior David Ziayee said. “Academically, it’s a good school so it can help me pursue my academic interest in biology.”

Total in-state tuition: $11,162

Total out-of-state tuition: $ 30,672

University of Pittsburgh “Pitt”

The University of Pittsburgh is located in Pittsburgh, Pa. Home of Roc the Panther, Pitt has a Division I athletic program. The university was founded in 1787 as the Pittsburgh Academy and is known as one of the nation’s oldest institutions of higher learning. The University of Pittsburgh has three focus areas in its mission statement. 

Price of tuition varies based on the major. 

James Madison University “JMU” 

Photo of Wilson Hall at JMU’s campus in Harrisonburg, Virginia.
Photo of Wilson Hall at JMU’s campus in Harrisonburg, Virginia. (Alma Mater)

James Madison University is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Educating a little over 19,000 undergrad students, this university provides 139 degree programs. The average class size is 25 students, so it is easier for students to build strong and comfortable relationships with their professors. 

“I want to go to JMU because it provides the best education program, I want to become a teacher,” senior Violet Hautau said. 

This school is ranked as the second best university in the south by “U.S. News & World Report.” Some of the most popular majors at JMU are Business, Marketing, and Management. 

Total in-state tuition: $12,330

Total out-of-state tuition: $29,230

North Carolina State University

North Carolina State began as an institution for agriculture and engineering university in Raleigh, N.C. NC State is best known for its science, engineering, technology math programs. This college has connections with government, nonprofits, and industries that aid students and faculty in their prospective interests. 

Total in-state tuition: $9,101

Total out-of-state tuition: $29,220

Virginia Commonwealth University “VCU” 

VCU’s College of Engineering at VCU’s campus in Richmond, Va.
VCU’s College of Engineering at VCU’s campus in Richmond, Va. (ERB VCU)

Virginia Commonwealth University is located in Richmond, Va., which has many small shops including family-run restaurants, hole-in-the-wall bookstores, casual dining, and boutiques.  VCU offers more than 200 programs for its students to study. There are about 29,000 enrolled students. This university is extremely strong in their Fine Arts school. As a student, attending VCU, you would be able to witness one of the most celebrated pep bands in the country. Additionally, they have a fantastic health program. VCU Medical Center is one of the top medical centers in Virginia and is the best in the Richmond region. 

“I really like VCU because of the urban setting, as well as meeting so many people from different places all around the city,” said Hana Ghaderi, a Meridian alumnus and current student at VCU.

Total in-state tuition: $14,710

Total out-of-state tuition: $36,048

Pennsylvania State University “Penn State”

Main lawn at Penn State University at their main campus, University Park.
Main lawn at Penn State University at their main campus, University Park. (PSU)

Pennsylvania State University is located in State College, Pa. and has been educating students for over 150 years. Some of their most popular majors include Management, Business, and Marketing. Penn State has 20 undergraduate campuses for students to apply for. Their main campus, at University Park, houses around 40,000 undergraduate students. 

“Penn State has such a beautiful campus and I love how it’s close enough to home so I can easily drive home for holidays or breaks,” senior Ricardo Quiroz said. “I also love the distance because it is far enough where I can still have a sense of independence.”

Total in-state tuition: $18,450

Total out-of-state tuition: $35,514

Clemson University

Clemson University is a four-year public university located in Clemson, S.C. Founded in 1889 by Thomas Green, Clemson is dedicated to “a high seminary of learning.” Clemson has over 90 majors and minors. Clemson has about 20,868 undergraduate students in various colleges on campus. 

Total in-state tuition: $7,560

Total out-of-state tuition: $19,056

University of Colorado Boulder

University of Colorado Boulder is one of 36 public research institutions in the Association of American Universities. Students have over 4,000 academic courses in 150 fields of study. It’s a top university for future entrepreneurs and innovative individuals. UC-Boulder is a student-focused campus culture that personalizes each student’s experience. 

Total in-state tuition: 12,466

Total out-of-state tuition: 38,284