Seniors to complete 9-day externship before graduation

The Cherry Hill Farmhouse, located adjacent to Cherry Hill Park (pictured), is the location of a potential senior externship opportunity. Seniors will all partake in a nine-day externship in May.

Photo via fallschurchva.gov

Sophia Borghesani, Public Relations Editor

With the end of the 2021-2022 school year rapidly approaching, seniors have the opportunity to partake in a nine-day-long externship at the end of May. The externship provides a chance for seniors to participate in volunteer projects and or gain work experience before attending college or going into the workforce. 

The externship begins on May 23, right after seniors finish their school year, and lasts through June 3, mandating at least 40 hours of work (to be recorded on the timesheet of hours that will be due June 2). Those who chose to pursue an externship will be excused from attending those nine school days. 

To participate, seniors must have obtained all graduation requirements. In addition, they must fill out an application, due April 22, detailing their externship and selecting a mentor who will oversee and verify the student’s work. The parent and student authorization and release form must be turned in by May 2 and an obligatory externship meeting will take place on May 18.

Some examples of potential externships include helping at Cherry Hill Farmhouse, volunteering at the library, stocking shelves at a food pantry, learning about a career you’re interested in, along with many others. Previous externships include working at places like Lee Graham pool, George Mason University, INOVA Fairfax Medical Campus, Creative Cauldron, DC Youth Orchestra, Mary Riley Styles Public Library, and many others. 

If you are a senior and have questions about potential externships, you can email Marybeth Connelly ([email protected]).