57-29: Mustangs prevail against Brentville

Molly Moore, Managing Editor

Meridian girls’ basketball triumphed against the Brentsville District Tigers Jan. 20 scoring 57 points, while the Tigers scored 29. The Mustangs maintained a narrow lead in the first two quarters, only up 26-17, but successfully widened the gap after halftime, scoring another 31 points compared to the 12 the Tiger managed to gain. 

Senior Elizabeth Creed led the team with 18 points, closely followed by sophomore Ellie Friesen with 14, and senior Peyton Jones with 11. Junior Tilly Gale also scored the final bucket of the game at the buzzer. 

Senior Emma Roncoroni, a spectator in the student section, highlighted her favorite moment of the game. “An exciting moment of the game was when Tilly scored with like a second left.” 

While the Mustangs finished the game with a comfortable lead, Brentsville District certainly didn’t go down without a fight. The Mustangs had to focus on working as a team in order to call the game a success. 

According to sophomore and team member Ellie Freisen, the team prioritized working together, which led to a favorable outcome. “We proved last night that team basketball and team defense can win regardless of the individual powerhouses on the other team.” 

In addition to teamwork, the Mustangs were benefited by the support and encouragement from the home section of the stands. Meridian students were decked out in U.S.A. themed outfits to cheer on the players. 

Roncoroni noted, “My favorite part of basketball games is definitely getting to cheer on my friends with everyone in the stands!”