Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

5 things I wish I knew freshman year

Join sports and clubs 

As high school begins, everyone is starting to discover themselves and their interests. The best way to find friends with similar interests is joining clubs and sports teams. Meridian has countless clubs for all sorts of interests ranging from gardening to activism. Joining sports can help you make friends with students of all ages and all interests in one bonded team. Being a student-athlete may seem daunting, but it’s all about finding something that works for you!

Find a study schedule that works for you 

As high school begins, the workload increases by the minute. You may think that there is one planner or google calendar that will organize your life, and while these can be helpful, it’s different for everyone. It’s important to be sure that you are starting your year strong and setting yourself up for success. If you manage your time well starting in freshman year, it will help throughout high school. 

Don’t stress over the little things

Yes, your grades matter now, but is that one math summative grade from 2nd quarter freshman year going to affect your lifelong success? No. When managing your time, you need to assess your priorities. Overachieving is great, but everyone needs a break sometimes. There is always room for improvement, and no one expects you to be perfect. 

Be Involved

Roll Stangs! School spirit is the most exciting way to become involved as a freshman. From pep rallies to spirit week there are lots of great opportunities. Whether you decide to SCA, represent your class in musical chairs or dress up for pajama day, you will have lots of fun! 

Come prepared for school–layers and snacks 

The high school’s unpredictable temperatures are an unfortunate reality that we all have to face. So it’s important to stay prepared. Bring lots of layers! Also, you definitely want to avoid spending all of your money at the Mustang Mug and in the vending machines, so bring snacks!

View Comments (1)