Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Our recap of the NFL Playoffs

Rob Williams (center), via Wikimedia Commons (top left, top right, bottom right, & second from top right), Ellissa Insinuation (bottom left), Richard Bartlaga (second from bottom left), All-Pro Reels (second from bottom right), Shaak Ti Considerable Othella (second from top left).

The first three rounds of the NFL playoffs are complete, and Super Bowl LVIII is set. So let’s recap the NFL playoffs so far.

Heading into the playoffs there were some major trends that left us guessing what team would elevate their game and make it to the Super Bowl. The Philadelphia Eagles started the season 10-1, but followed that up by going an abysmal 1-5 in the last six games of the season, finishing as the lowly 5th seed in the National Football Conference(NFC). 

The Buffalo Bills were 6-6 at one point, but with a strong finish, they managed to go undefeated in the final 5 games, ending with an 11-6 record. A season-finale win over the division rival Miami Dolphins secured the second seed in the American Football Conference (AFC).

The Los Angeles Rams had an incredible finish, winning seven of eight games to end their season as the sixth seed in the NFC. 

The Houston Texans were the second worst team in the NFL last season, but with rookie Quarterback C.J. Stroud, a new head coach, and renewed spirit, they went 10-7 this season, landing them the fourth seed in the AFC.

After the first two rounds of the playoffs were over, the conference championships were set. In the AFC, the third seed Kansas City Chiefs would go to Baltimore to play the first seed Ravens. In the NFC, the three seed Lions went to San Francisco to play the 49ers. Both one seeds had a bye in the first round, automatically advancing to the second. The Lions and Chiefs however, played and beat the L.A. Rams and Miami Dolphins respectively, gaining them access to the second round. The Chiefs beat the Bills in epic fashion, as the Bills kicker missed a crucial field goal attempt, sealing the game for the Chiefs. The Ravens dominated the Texans. The Lions bested the Buccaneers, and the 49ers narrowly defeated the Green Bay Packers. These games led us to the Conference Championship games, with the winners of each game advancing to the Super Bowl. We predicted these games before they took place, and here’s what we came up with:

Kansas City Chiefs v.s. Baltimore Ravens

Dino’s Prediction: Ravens 31, Chiefs 27 

Ryan’s Prediction: Chiefs 27, Ravens 24

Luke Russell (Special Guest): Ravens 31, Chiefs 17

San Francisco 49ers v.s. Detroit Lions

IF DEEBO SAMUEL IS ACTIVE:

Dino’s Prediction: 49ers 38, Lions 30 

Ryan’s Prediction: 49ers 34, Lions 31

Luke Russell (Special Guest): 49ers 35, Lions 24

IF DEEBO SAMUEL IS OUT:

Dino’s Prediction: 49ers 29, Lions 37 

Ryan’s Prediction: 49ers 27, Lions 28

Luke Russell (Special Guest): 49ers 28, Lions 24

We predicted one game perfectly, credit to Ryan Degnant. The 49ers and Chiefs both won, a matchup which almost all fans were hoping to avoid. The two teams faced off four years ago in Super Bowl LIV, where the Chiefs orchestrated a 10 point comeback in the fourth Quarter to beat the 49ers, 31-20. The 49ers will be eager to give the Chiefs a taste of their own medicine.