Model UN visits William & Mary

George Mason Model UN delegates enjoy a dinner in Williamsburg. Ms. Mahony took them to restaurants around the campus of William and Mary, which she knew well since she attended the school. (Photo courtesy of the William and Mary International Relations Club.)

Dorian Charpentier

The Model United Nations (UN) Club of George Mason High School participated in an overnight conference at the College of William and Mary from Friday, November 14 to Sunday, November 16. Eleven delegates from Mason mostly represented the nations of Chad and Spain in various committees such as the Security Council or the Ministry of Health in the Mexican Cabinet.

The conference regrouped more than a thousand students from areas as far south as Florida and as far north as Chicago. Over on campus, the George Mason High School delegation and its two sponsors, Mrs. Holly Herrington and Mrs. Pam Mahony, enjoyed local treats, including the renowned Ghost Tour of colonial Williamsburg. However, the club??s two sponsors spent a significant portion of their time grading government tests.

??Model UN doesn??t end in high school,?? said Herrington, who followed the Mason delegation to Williamsburg. She pursued saying that this conference was a sneak peak at what Model UN is like in college.