Top eight albums of 2018

George Price, Staff Reporter

1. KIDS SEE GHOSTS – KIDS SEE GHOSTS
Album Cover for KIds See Ghosts

KIDS SEE GHOSTS- a supergroup formed by hip-hop legends Kanye West and Kid Cudi- has made waves in the music industry with the release of its eponymous first album. KIDS SEE GHOSTS is a fusion of rock, rap, hip, and psychedelic genres; an eclectic tapestry of sound that flows together so perfectly you’ll want to listen to it over and over.

1. SWEETENER – ARIANA GRANDE
Album cover for SWEETENER

This fourth studio album by American singer/songwriter Ariana Grande has definitely proven to be one of her best works of art yet. When the album was released it shot to the number one spot of Billboard’s top 200 list with 231,000 album-equivalent units in its first week. She mixes in genres such as pop, R&B, and trap to create an album that speaks on sexual empowerment, spirituality, toxic relationships, love, and even her experience with the Manchester Arena bombing. With this album, you will be sure to find something you relate with.

1. IRIDESCENCE – BROCKHAMPTON
Album cover for IRIDESCENCE

Iridescence is the fourth studio album from the American boyband BROCKHAMPTON. The album was recorded in Abbey Road Studios in London and their own personal studio in Hawaii. It is only the first installment of their new album The Best Years of Our Lives. It is their first album release following the dismissal of Ameer Vann because of sexual misconduct. The album itself, however, focuses on a major theme of humility, which is quite different than their previous SATURATION albums. They also talk about how fame has changed them all and how they’ve become more anxious than ambitious. However, I feel that this album is more of a thesis statement for the next two albums that are about to come in the trilogy.

1. HIVE MIND – THE INTERNET
Album cover for Hive Mind

Hive Mind is the fourth studio album from funk collective The Internet, a band consisting of artists Syd, Matt Martians, Patrick Paige II, Christopher Smith, and Steve Lacy. After releasing their previous album, Ego Death the group took a break to work on their own separate projects. But as soon as they were back together, they combined genres such as R&B, funk, hip-hop, jazz, and blues to create a soulful album that dealt with basic themes such as comforting togetherness and love. For the most part, the powerful and intricate instrumentals do all the talking on this album, making it a great listen if you’re good-natured funk.

1. ISOLATION – KALI UCHIS
Album cover for Isolation

After putting out singles such as After The Storm featuring Tyler the Creator, Tyrant featuring Jorja Smith, and Nuestro Planeta featuring Reykon, Kali Uchis released her debut studio album. In an interview with Lulu Garcia-Navarro on National Public Radio, Kali Uchis spoke on the details of her relationship with her family and growing up stating: “In that era of my life, I was still really young and I was just kind of figuring everything out. I didn’t really have anywhere to stay towards the ends of my high school days. I was in a relationship for five years from when I was 15 to when I was 19 and it was very toxic. That’s kind of where it stemmed from, but also it can relate to all of the other relationships that were in my life at that moment. My relationship with my family was really, really bad. I was kicked out of the house and I was really difficult as a kid. I’m happy it happened because I was able to grow so much from it, you know.” In this sort-of coming of age album, Kali Uchis powerful themes of love, loss through this fun album.

1. A BRIEF INQUIRY INTO ONLINE RELATIONSHIPS – THE 1975
Album cover for A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships

This is the third studio album by the pop-rock band The 1975. Prior to the release of the album, the band released five singles that are on the album: Give Yourself a Try, Love It If We Made It, TooTimeTooTimeTooTime, Sincerity Is Scary and It’s Not Living (If It’s Not with You). The main theme that is shown in this album deals with the modern apocalyptic feeling of a broken heart that can’t be healed. There are also some fun rock songs on the album that lighten the mood and bring in more positive tones.

1. TRANQUILITY BASE HOTEL AND CASINO – ARCTIC MONKEYS
Album cover for Tranquility Base

Written by the band’s frontman Alex Turner, the band’s sixth studio album runs with the genre of lounge pop, space pop, glam rock, and psychedelic pop, as well as some elements of smooth jazz implemented. It is a major change from their previous album, AM, which was more based around rock/punk. After its release, the album was nominated for 2018 Mercury Prize and the Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album.

1.ASTROWORLD – TRAVIS SCOTT

Album cover for ASTROWORLD

This long-awaited third studio album is undoubtedly popular among Travis’s large fanbase. It mixes in genres of hip-hop, trap, and even some psychedelic sound. It features hit songs such as SICKO MODE, BUTTERFLY EFFECT, and YOSEMITE. Along with Scott’s vocals it features vocals from artists such as Drake, Frank Ocean, Swae Lee, and many more. If you are interested in this “new wave” sound then this is the album for you. Even if you aren’t interested in the trap genre, you are bound to find a sound you vibe with.