VHSL adopts third model of reopening, postpones all sports until December

Photo by Sam Mostow

A Mason running back runs towards the end zone. Football, like all other fall sports, will take place between February and May.

Sam Mostow, Editor-in-Chief

In a 34-1 vote on Monday, the Virginia High School League voted to adopt the third model of reopening high school sports for the upcoming school year, postponing all sports until at least December and adopting a schedule of condensed seasons.

The schedule allows for winter sports to take place from December 14 through February 20, fall sports to take place from February 15 through May 1, and spring sports to take place from April 12 through June 26.

This decision came nearly two weeks after the VHSL agreed to make their decision Monday and proposed three potential models for the upcoming school year. 

The first model called for all fall sports to be cancelled except for golf and cross country and winter and spring sports to proceed as normal. It was the only plan that called for all sports seasons to remain in the same slot of time that they would normally take place in.

The second model called for fall sports to take place in the spring and spring sports to take place in the fall, with the exception of lacrosse, which would remain in the spring. Winter sports would be unaffected.

VHSL Executive Director John W. Haun made it clear that all plans are subject to change. However, Haun expressed confidence in the precautions the schools and the VHSL are taking to prevent potential outbreaks of COVID-19 and the VHSL’s ability to adapt to the ever-changing circumstances.

“We all understand the physical and mental health benefits of getting our students back to a level of participation,” Haun said in a press release. “The Condensed Interscholastic Plan Leaves open the opportunity to play all sports in all three seasons if Virginia moves beyond Phase III and/or Phase III guidelines are revised and High Risk Activities are allowed.”

It is unclear how this will affect Mason fall sports workouts that have already begun. Cross country preseason workouts were shut down by the team last week once FCCPS announced learning would be 100% online for at least the first nine weeks.