End of season Fall sports power rankings

Carter Mackinnon, Staff Reporter

1. Cross Country

Cross Country girls stand together.
Cross Country girls stand together after a long race. Many members of the team set personal records at the state meet this season. Photo courtesy of Mason Yearbook.

Ending the season in first is the cross country team. The girl’s team finished fourth in the state and the boy’s team came in at ninth. Many members of the team set personal records at the state meet, including top times from Colson Board with 16:54 and Lauren Mellon with 19:37 for the 5k. Throughout the season, the boys and girls cross country teams have both been very dominant.

2. Volleyball

Volleyball girls come together.
Girls on the volleyball team come together after scoring a point. They had three players receive all-region honors. Photo courtesy of Mason Yearbook.

Coming in at second is the volleyball team. They finished with a 15-5 record and went all the way to the regional semifinal, but lost in a heartbreaking game to Independence, 3-2. Yet, individuals still shined with Megan Boesen finishing with First-Team All-Region honors, and Caroline Poley and Roza Gal achieving Second-Team All-Region.

3. Cheer

The cheer team dances.
The cheer team dances at halftime of the football game. The team had seven All-District cheerleaders this year. Photo courtesy of Mason Yearbook.

The cheer team has improved greatly in recent years, and their accolades prove it. The team went from having only one All-District cheerleader last year to having seven All-District cheerleaders this season. They placed fourth at Districts and went to Regionals where they placed fifth. This team was the first team since 1996 to make it to Regionals. 

4. Field Hockey

Field Hockey team gets ready to defend.
The field hockey team gets ready to defend a corner. The team went to the state tournament this season. Photo courtesy of Mason Yearbook.

Coming in fourth is the field hockey team, finishing with a 9-12 record. After beating Charlottesville in the region quarterfinal, the team qualified for States. Sadly, the team lost 6-0 to Poquoson in the state-quarter final. Junior Ashley Zigler led the team in both goals and assists with 11 goals and eight assists throughout the season, meaning she contributed 55% of the team’s goals. 

5. Football

Football players warm-up for the game.
The football players warm up for their game. The team made it to the regional quarter-finals this year. Photo courtesy of Mason Yearbook.

The football team went 4-7 this year and was placed fifth in the rankings. The team lost in the region quarterfinal to Brentsville 32-21. In his senior campaign, running back Connor Plaks finished with a 1,172 yard rushing season, averaging just over six yards per carry. 

6. Golf

A golfer is getting ready for his putt.
Senior Tucker Gaskins reads the green and gets ready to putt. The team qualified for Districts and Regionals this season. Photo courtesy of Mason Yearbook.

In sixth place is the golf team. The team finished fourth of six teams in the district and seventh of 11 in the region. Unfortunately, the team did not qualify for States, yet sophomore Jack Biggs earned All-District honors this year as a sophomore.