Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

For The Record: 21 Savage Deep Dive

Ben Behr discusses the long and eventful career of the Southern rapper 21 Savage. (Photo via Variety)

Born in 1992, Shéyaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, better known as 21 Savage, is a British-American rapper based out of Atlanta. Relatively new to the hip-hop scene, 21 Savage has already made a name for himself releasing tons of hit songs, classic albums, and collaborations with some of the biggest names. 

21 Savage is at the top of the rap game, and his claim to fame was anything but easy; he began his rap career following the death of his best friend. 21 Savage released his first single, “Picky,” and subsequently his debut mixtape, “The Slaughter Tape,” in 2014 and 2015, respectively. He gained more notoriety through his collaboration with renowned producer Metro Boomin, creating the EP “Savage Mode,” in 2016. The album was a hit, reaching the top 25 on the Billboard 200, and peaked at number 7 on Rap Albums chart. 

Following the success of “Savage Mode,” 21 released his first full-length album in the summer of 2017. The album, “Issa,” was a huge success, showcasing his talents, and featuring some of the hottest producers at the time. The album also gave the fans bangers like “Bank Account,” which quickly gained popularity and notoriety in the mainstream rap scene.

Savage would continue his rise to the top, with another collaboration album in 2017. The album “Without Warning,” a joint effort from the Migos member Offset, 21 Savage himself, and the producer Metro Boomin, delivered the fans an instant classic. Containing hits like “Ric Flair Drip,” “Ghostface Killers” featuring Travis Scott, and “Rap Saved Me” featuring Quavo, it’s not hard to see how this album was such a success. 

21 Savage wouldn’t stop his journey to the top, winning the Best Rap Song for “A Lot” at the 62nd GRAMMY Awards. The song “A Lot,” featuring top-tier rapper J-Cole, became one of his biggest hits peaking at 12 on the Billboard Hot 100. Featuring some of his best lyrical abilities paired with a dark and soulful beat.  It’s easy to see how the song grew so popular and continues to be recognized today as one of his best songs. 

21 Savage didn’t stop there, continuing to work with some of the biggest names in hip-hop as well as music in general, collaborating with the likes of Post Malone, Drake, the Weekend, and Usher to create some of his biggest and best records. 21 Savage has 103 records that charted on the Billboard Top 100, with two number 1 hits, and seventeen in the top 10.

Already getting ahead of the competition in 2024, 21 released the album “American Dream,” charting at the top of the Billboard Top 200. Containing a substantial 15 tracks, 21 uses this album to tackle his life and experiences and how they have shaped who he is and his music. An impressive demonstration from the rapper, the album showcases all his trademark lyricism and wordplay, along with frequent collaborations like Travis Scott and Metro Boomin. 

For only being in the rap game a little over a decade, 21 Savage has shaped the genre irrevocably. He took the music world by storm from the beginning and hasn’t slowed down even though he’s at the top.