Why everyone secretly loves country music

Album covers featuring Florida Georgia Line, Dolly Parton, Old Dominion, and Carrie Underwood (Photo via Spotify)

Ella Gilmore, Staff Reporter

Trucks, love, work, mud, and lemonade. All are common themes in country songs from every decade. While most people associate country music with those living in the South, more “northerners” enjoy listening to country music than you may think.

But what is it that makes this genre so appealing to all generations? It’s not like the songs are progressive or have an amazing background story, most of them are just about normal people living normal lives. Yet somehow, we find ourselves listening to country music more than we like to let on. 

Perhaps it’s the singers’ twangy accents, or their family-friendly appeal, maybe just the fact that they make life seem so simple. But a major factor is that country songs have lyrics that everyone can relate to. Most country songs don’t have the deepest messages, but their lyrics can connect with everyone in every stage of life. 

Mason students feel the same way. When asked if she felt embarrassed to like country music, freshman Katie Rice responded confidently.

“No. I love country music, and I don’t care if other people don’t like it.”

While Katie listens to country music because she grew up hearing it, she does agree that country music has a certain lyrical appeal. 

Take the song “9 to 5” by Dolly Parton. The song is relatively catchy, it has a good rhythm, but what really makes this song loved is the lyrics. Lines like “what a way to make a livin’/ barely gettin’ by, it’s all takin’ and no givin’” connect with everyone who has ever hated their job and believed they deserved better.

Songs like “9 to 5” have lyrical appeal because it connects to things happening in a listener’s life. And country songs have lyrics that relate to everything; from sweet first loves to sad goodbyes, to even the smallest things like a big green tractor, they help represent every aspect of life. 

So the next time that country playlist pops up on your Spotify account, don’t be embarrassed; you’re only among the millions streaming every month.