Local Businesses are still working, despite COVID-19

Liam Timar-Wilcox, Managing Editor

Photo of a restaurant with no cars in the parking lot, and no customers inside. An open sign on the door lists the ways that they are still providing business.
Mike’s Deli has still been working by taking online orders and serving food via takeout. Non essential businesses in Virginia have been ordered to stop in person business until at least May 29. (Photo by Liam Timar-Wilcox)

Virginia has issued restrictions on all non-essential businesses in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the pandemic, local businesses in and around Falls Church have continued to work through means such as delivery and pickup. 

Restaurants have been finding new ways to continue to provide service while maintaining safe social distancing and protecting both their customers and employees.

Two well known local restaurants, Clare & Don’s Beach Shack and Lazy Mike’s Delicatessen have been taking orders online and offering curbside pickup. Lazy Mike’s has been taking orders online and passing them through their carryout window to customers. Clare & Don’s was closed for a full month, but has reopened and has been working with all prepaid and pre-ordered meals.

Unfortunately, these new circumstances of business have made some cutbacks necessary.  As of late May, Lazy Mike’s had to lay off eight employees, with twelve still working. Given the drop in business, Clare & Dons was forced to let go of almost all of their employees, with only six working in the restaurant. 

Restaurants and food services aren’t the only ones finding ways to work during the pandemic. Foxes Music Co., a familiar location to Falls Church band students, has been offering online music instruction, in place of the standard in person meetings. Some staff members have been able to work from home, but two to six workers are still working in person. The store is offering curbside pickup, although there have not been very many orders. 

Just outside the City of Falls Church, One More Page books has faced some unseen difficulties in their new operations. Their supply line has been disrupted, as new orders of books have been slowed given the new strain on UPS, FedEx, and warehouses where books are ordered from. The bookstore is still taking online orders, and has seen an increase in the demand for puzzles as people strive to keep themselves occupied. 

“It’s been a big adjustment for our customers and us.  Most importantly, we have lost much of our customer interaction which has been quite difficult. That’s what we’re all about,” One More Page owner Eileen McGervey said in an email. 

The uncertainty of when the pandemic will end has extended to the schedule of all of these local businesses. Until state guidelines allow for a return to normal business, they will keep working as best they can, with support coming from local orders who are keeping them on their feet during this time.