Anyone ages 16 and up can now be vaccinated in Virginia

Anyone over the age of 12 can be registered for a COVID-19 vaccine. Those ages 12 to 18 will receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, as it is the only one that has been approved for that age group.

Liam Timar-Wilcox, Managing Editor

Starting today, April 19, the Virginia Department of Health directed the entire state to enter Phase 2 of vaccination for the entire state. This means that anyone over the age of 16 can now get vaccinated with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, which was approved by the FDA in December, and anyone over the age of 18 can get vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine.

Those who wish to get a vaccine should go to vaccinate.virginia.gov and try to register, but Virginia governor Ralph Northam warned that it may take some time to get an appointment given the demand for them.

For those who are 16 or 17 years old, a parent or guardian must be present at the vaccination site and give their consent for the vaccination.

The Pfizer-BioNTech is currently the only vaccine authorized for people as young as 16, and requires two shots three weeks apart. Virginia is set to receive 220,000 first doses of Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech this week, which should help the state vaccinate as many people as possible. Danny Avula, the state vaccine coordinator, said that the Commonwealth hopes to give anyone who wants to be vaccinated their first dose by the end of May.

Any student who is unsure of how to register and wishes to do so can contact the main office.

“We can’t register students for them, as it is a personal choice that requires personal information, but we can help them navigate the system and show them how to apply for a vaccine,” GMHS Principal Matthew Hills said.