Anyone ages 12 and up can now be vaccinated

Anyone over the age of 12 can be registered for a COVID-19 vaccine. Those ages 12 to 18 will receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, as it is the only one that has been approved for that age group.

Liam Timar-Wilcox, Managing Editor

Starting on May 12, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention authorized and recommended the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine for anyone 12 or older. Anyone 12 or older can now get vaccinated with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, including most Mary Ellen Henderson and all George Mason High School students, and anyone 18 or older can get the Moderna or Johnson&Johnson vaccine.

Those who wish to get a vaccine should go to vaccinate.virginia.gov and try to register, but Virginia governor Ralph Northam warned that it may take some time to get an appointment given the demand for them. 

For those who are under 18 years of age, a parent or guardian must be present at the vaccination site and give their consent for the vaccination. 

The Pfizer-BioNTech is currently the only vaccine authorized for people as young as 12, and requires two shots three weeks apart. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose. Given the rise of cases in younger individuals, vaccination for these ages groups has become a priority.

President Biden encouraged the country, saying that, “This new population is going to find the vaccine rollout fast and efficient. As of tomorrow, more than 15,000 pharmacies across this country will be ready to vaccinate this age group.”

Any student who is unsure of how to register and wishes to do so can contact the school administration of their school. 

“We can’t register students for them, as it is a personal choice that requires personal information, but we can help them navigate the system and show them how to apply for a vaccine,” George Mason Principal Matthew Hills said.