Meridian High School Student Newspaper - The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

The Lasso

Field hockey team reflects on impressive season

+Meridian+field+hockey+team+makes+it+to+regionals%21+%28photo+via+Meridian+FH+Instagram%29
Meridian field hockey team makes it to regionals! (photo via Meridian FH Instagram)

This year, the Mustang field hockey team made history with their best overall season record and managed to reach state finals for the first time. Great leadership and great players made the team’s impressive accomplishments possible. The team now reflects on their 2023 season’s accomplishments.

Through the guidance of Head Coach Steenhoek, the team broke numerous records. The coach’s emphasis on playing together as a team, supporting other players, and working hard while still having fun paved the way for a fantastic and memorable season.

“It was a wonderful season, to say the least, and we couldn’t be more proud of the girls and what they accomplished together as a team. I think as coaches we really focused on playing together as a team, trusting each other on the field, and working hard. We also wanted the girls to have fun in each game they played.” Steenhoek said.

Behind the scenes, managers William Hladky, Anna Eppler, and Bella Gardner supported and cheered the team on through their tremendous victories. Eppler, a sophomore, eagerly looks forward to managing the team again.

“I definitely see myself managing the team again. I liked it a lot, there were a lot of positives because of the team environment and the coaches. The team was amazing this year, they work well together and I think the managers and the players get along very well.”

Gardner, a junior, showed her capability at managing the team, while also balancing photography and soccer.

“I loved being manager, and I will be managing the team again next year. One of the biggest things I struggled with was trying to balance my time with playing soccer and taking pictures for football as well as managing the team. I make sure to support the players on and off the field with whatever they need, which definitely brings us closer. ”

The team captains – Briana Corey, Cassie DuBois, and Caroline Carmody – also played a pivotal role in leading the team to victory this season.

“Winning Regionals for the first time in our program’s history, and winning the playoffs were some of my favorite moments of the season,” Corey said.

Corey has been playing on the Meridian team since her sophomore year, “I think that over the season the team has really grown, and spending a lot of time together every week has really allowed our team to work really well together. …I think all of us captains always kept a good attitude that encouraged the team.”

Carmody, also a senior, shared her favorite moments of the season,

“My favorite part of the season was going to VA Beach and winning the States Semis game. We all worked really hard this season and believed we could make it far. I think we grew closer as the season went on, which was crucial to our success on the field.”

In their record-breaking season, the team succeeded with a 21-1 overall record – the top-ever score for the Field Hockey program. Led by top scorers Cassie DuBois, Delaney Flanagan, and Caroline Carmidy, the team notched an impressive 84 goals.

With their strong defense, the team managed to lead 18 shut-outs across 22 games, allowing only 10 goals scored on them in the entire season. Cassie DuBois, a standout in goals and assists, earned Player of the Year honors for both district and region.

The team collectively earned numerous accolades, including first-team all-district, all-region and all-state selections. The team made it to semi-state finals and finals, solidifying Meridian field hockey’s reputation as a strong team on and off the field.

This season, the Mustangs remark on their season-long successes while still celebrating their triumph. The season was about more than winning; the team built genuine friendships and connections.